Re: Simple query takes a long time on win2K

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Simple query takes a long time on win2K
Дата
Список pgsql-general
A. Mous wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a table with about 1500 records.  My query is very basic: SELECT *
> FROM foo;
>
> With postgres 8.0.1 on Win XP (Celeron 2400, 500MB RAM) it returns the
> results in about 80ms.  The same query on the same database, tested on three
> different win2k machines all running 8.0.1, takes roughly 4 seconds.  Win2K
> machines are as follows:
>
> 1) PIII 800, 256MB RAM
> 2) Celeron 400, 128MB RAM
> 3) PII 233, 128MB RAM
>
> All machines are currently using the default settings upon install.  I've
> tried adjusting shared_buffers and work_mem but nothing seems to make any
> difference.

Hmm - very strange. It couldn't be network related could it? IIRC on
Windows machines you connect via localhost (because there aren't any
unix domain sockets). There have been reports of different performance
over network connections, but I don't know if this applies to local
connections or if it's as serious as this.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd