Problem in starting postgres server on sun solaris 5.7

От Dattaram Shivji
Тема Problem in starting postgres server on sun solaris 5.7
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi!

I installed postgresql-7.2.1  on Sun solaris 5.7 running on sparc processor.

while installing i had no problems but  as soon as start with following
line

    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /user2/pgsql/data
or
    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /user2/pgsql/data -l logfile start

kailas#     /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /user2/pgsql/data
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1441792, 03600) failed:
Invalid argument

This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared memory
segment exceeded your kernel's SHMMAX parameter.  You can either
reduce the request size or reconfigure the kernel with larger SHMMAX.
To reduce the request size (currently 1441792 bytes), reduce
PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 64) and/or
its max_connections parameter (currently 32).

If the request size is already small, it's possible that it is less than
your kernel's SHMMIN parameter, in which case raising the request size or
reconfiguring SHMMIN is called for.

The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about

shared memory configuration.

I am a new person with sun solaris so please sugest me in details i you
can !

with regards

Dattaram

(Sys Admin)