Re: Ready for Beta ... ?

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: Ready for Beta ... ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>
>>Hate to ask, but can someone summarize what it is that is being
>>"discussed" here?  Andreas' post about 'size triggering' is what drew my
>>eye, but I think I missed the central point :(
>

> Andreas wants database users to be
> able to force it to switch to a new log file on demand.

superuser only, of course.

> I don't think the latter is a particularly good idea for a number of
> reasons, but probably the main one is that I don't think users should be
> directly fooling with the server logs.

This is a bit contradictionary. pgsql allows any superuser to shoot
himself into his foot (citation: TGL) in many places, e.g. "delete from
pg_class". He may delete logfiles while in use, but not trigger the
rotation in an official way, which doesn't seem particularly harmful
(fooling with log_rotation_age and sighup would be a dubious workaround).

Regards,
Andreas