Re: Ready for Beta ... ?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Ready for Beta ... ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't think the latter is a particularly good idea for a number of
>> reasons, but probably the main one is that I don't think users should be
>> directly fooling with the server logs.

> This is a bit contradictionary. pgsql allows any superuser to shoot
> himself into his foot (citation: TGL) in many places, e.g. "delete from
> pg_class".

There's some significant differences there.  In the first place, the
system catalogs are inherently something that is properly manipulated at
the SQL level.  In the second place, we have years of experience showing
that it is useful to be able to manipulate them from SQL, see eg
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/release-7-4-2.html.
Which is why the occasional proposals about forbidding superusers from
mucking with the catalogs for safety's sake have always been shot down.

The postmaster log isn't an SQL object, so shouldn't really be
manipulated from SQL; and there is zero field experience to suggest that
the time-and-size rotation parameters aren't sufficient for it.

We can always add something later if experience with 8.0 shows that it's
actually needed.  But taking out useless features after they've been in
for a release or two is much more painful.