Re: problem trying to su - postgres

От Radu-Adrian Popescu
Тема Re: problem trying to su - postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Neil.Thompson@shepway.gov.uk wrote:
| many thanks
|
| For info I've installed it all from cd.
|
| I tried the whoami, and although the command prompt thing says -bash-2.05b$
| it did return postgres as the user, THANKS!
|
| also tried the rpm -qa | grep postgres, this returned:
| postgresql-libs-7.3.4-3.rhl9
| postgresql-7.3.4-3.rhl9
| postgresql-server-7.3.4-3.rhl9
|
| so I guess I'm worrying over nothing, sorry. When you are learning you hope
| to see exactly whats written in the install docs. At least I now know how to
| check.

Yes, you were :-) but hey that's how it goes.
Although I think you were reading the install from source docs. Better off
checking the RPM part and the docs from the RPM distribution (postgresql-doc I
think). Also you may whish to install postgresql-devel and/or other devel
packages to be able to use it with python/php/perl/etc.

| Thank You

Cheers

| Neil Thompson

| |

| It is correct. You can also do a "whoami":
| [postgres@rpopescu postgres]$ whoami
| postgres
| [root@rpopescu root]# whoami
| root
| The prompt setting may be different on you machine.
|
| | Using the graphical interface i've tried to add postgres as a user as it
| | doesnt show, but it says user postgres already exists.
| |

| You don't specify how you've installed postgresql. On redhats you can get it
| from the installation disks. It's an older version that the current,
| obviously,
| but it looks like you're trying to get started with it, and therefore it
| should
| do. So your best bet is to try to install it from the RPMs, since it's
| easier
| than compiling it from source (not that that would be a killer or anything,
| but
| not something a newbie should be doing from day one imho).
| So step back, take a deep breath, run as root
| rpm -qa | grep postgres
| and if that comes up with 3-5 packages, you're almost done. If not, mount
| the
| cdroms and install postgresql from there (rpm -i postgresql-*.rpm).
| Have you checked the docs on the main website yet ?
|
| | An help would be greatfully received.
| |
| | Thanks
| |