Re: Filesystem vs. Postgres for images

От Anton Nikiforov
Тема Re: Filesystem vs. Postgres for images
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Michal Hlavac пишет:

> Hello,
>
> I am working on web portal. There are some ads. We have about 200 000
> ads. Every ad have own directory called ID, where is 5 subdirectories
> with various sizes of 5 images.
>
> Filesystem is too slow. But I don't know, if I store these images into
> postgres, performace will grow.
>
> Second question is, what kind of hardware I need for storing in DB. Now
> I have Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz with 512MB RAM and 120GB HDD.
>
> thanx for advices...
>
> miso

Hello Miso.
I used to have the  same problem with web hosting and
storing/sorting/retreiving images for banner exchange and for user
"sites/pages".
My tests was done on FreeBSD 4.5 with postgreSQL 7.3.2 (or soething) and
with Mysql (i do not remember it's version.
And we found out that only storing of filenames in the database and
getting the actual binary data from filesystem giving some performance.

--
Best regads,
Anton Nikiforov

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Filesystem vs. Postgres for images
Сообщение: Re: Filesystem vs. Postgres for images