Postgres postmaster

От Bill
Тема Postgres postmaster
Дата
Re: Postgres postmaster  ("J.Goodleaf" <john@goodleaf.net>)
Список pgsql-novice
Hi all,

I'm brand-new to postgres.  I have installed version 6.5 on RHL 6.1 (the
rpm).  when I try to create a database, I get:
[workshop@hoss workshop]$ createdb donneybrook
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
connectDB() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
Is the postmaster running at 'localhost' and accepting connections on Unix
socke
t '5432'?

createdb: database creation failed on donneybrook.
[workshop@hoss workshop]$

In /etc/services, port 5432 refers to 'postgres'.

I created the postgres user in linuxconf, but fail to see how this makes it
the postmaster.  I understand that "postmaster"
refers not to the email boss, but the master of postgres.

Shouldn't these details have been taken care of by the rpm, and if not,
what do I do to fix this?

Thanks
Bill