Re: Postgres postmaster

От J.Goodleaf
Тема Re: Postgres postmaster
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
If you're new to Postgres but not to Linux, I suggest that you download the
source and do the configuration yourself. In reading the various install
documents, you'll come across the answer to this particular question besides
which you get a much newer (and better) version of PostgreSQL. Seriously, 7
is a lot better than 6.5. RPMs are not, to my mind, as good as compiled
versions. This is especially the case with PostgreSQL, which has many
compilation options that really do affect what the database does. (For
example, does your RPM do TCL?)

There's also this:
http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.0/postgres/install.htm

which will answer some basic postmaster questions as well.
 -John

Bill writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm brand-new to postgres.  I have installed version 6.5 on RHL 6.1 (the
> rpm).  when I try to create a database, I get:
> [workshop@hoss workshop]$ createdb donneybrook
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> connectDB() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
> Is the postmaster running at 'localhost' and accepting connections on Unix
> socke
> t '5432'?
>
> createdb: database creation failed on donneybrook.
> [workshop@hoss workshop]$
>
> In /etc/services, port 5432 refers to 'postgres'.
>
> I created the postgres user in linuxconf, but fail to see how this makes
> it the postmaster.  I understand that "postmaster"
> refers not to the email boss, but the master of postgres.
>
> Shouldn't these details have been taken care of by the rpm, and if not,
> what do I do to fix this?
>
> Thanks
> Bill

                               _____________________________