Re: Err sum number with Date ?

От Chad R. Larson
Тема Re: Err sum number with Date ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
At 12:59 PM 6/13/02 , Nick Fankhauser wrote:
>In this, and your last question, the problem is that you are using
>functions from Microsoft Access. You'll keep running into this until you
>learn about the equivalent functions in PostgreSQL.

Further, learning ANSI SQL and limiting your syntax to that defined there,
so that if (God forbid) you should need to replace your PostgreSQL with
something like Informix or Oracle you won't face the same problem all
over.  In otherwords, don't use any database's extensions unless there is a
compelling reason to do so.  Unfortunately, that means you have to be able
to identify what =is= an extension, something Microsoft tries very hard to
hide.

In fact, if you were truly compulsive about such things (and I am), you
would only access the database through ODBC.  That would make changing
database engines practically painless.

Layer both your view of the system, and the software that implements it.

         -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad@eldocomp.com
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100