Re: Recovery issue

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Recovery issue
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 1:01 PM,  <msteben@autorevenue.com> wrote:
> Hi L:sters,
>
> We're at postgresql 8.2.5.  I'm running PITR backups on our production server
> and copying the resulting tarball and the WAL logs to our reporting server.
> I restart the reporting server and begin re-playing logs.  Everything
> works fine for about 3 days until a network outage creates a gap in the
> WAL log copies.  The reporting server interprets this as the end of the
> logs and comes up in ready mode.
>
> I need to begin recovery at that point and continue to replay logs.
> I asked this question last week with no clue how to proceed.
> Now I throw an idea out to the group.  Can I take a full file copy on
> the reporting server and continue to play logs at the point the last
> recovery terminated?
>
> Procedure in summary:
>
>  1.  Start archive logging on the reporting server.
>     (Since no updates are occurring on this server there
>      should be no logs archived. but I need to start archive
>      logging to enable pg_start_backup)
>  2.  select pg_start_backup('new_backup')
>  3   tar -czvf (the data cluster)
>  4.  select pg_stop_backup();
>  5.  stop the server. Remove the data cluster
>  6.  tar xvf the backup -replenish the data cluster
>  7   remove postmaster.pid, (pg_xlogs already removed from backup)
>  8.   restart the server using recovery.conf to start copying the
>     accumulated archive logs from the production server
>
> Possible?  Or  pipe dream?
>
> Any ideas welcome.  Thank you,

I don't think that your procedure works fine because timeline of
new backup is greater than that of the remaining archive logs.
I recommend that you use the previous backup, and re-execute
recovery from the beginning.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Сообщение: Re: postgres 8.2 doesn't start after ubuntu upgrade
Сообщение: Re: postgres 8.2 doesn't start after ubuntu upgrade