Re: postgres 8.2 doesn't start after ubuntu upgrade

От Markus Wanner
Тема Re: postgres 8.2 doesn't start after ubuntu upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

Bryan Keith wrote:
> How can I install postgres 8.2 without messing up the data in
> /var/lib/postgresql/8.2/main?

The way Postgres packages for Debian (and Ubuntu) are built, that's no
problem. Just install postgresql-8.2 again. After the upgrade, you can
remove the package and the data directory (after having made sure you
don't need it anymore).

> Can I just copy that to a new location and copy it back after the
> installation?  Or...?

Not necessarily required, but having a backup is always a good thing.

> How do I install postgres 8.2?  I think I installed 8.2 with something
> like sudo apt-get install postgresql, but that will install 8.3 now, I
> think.

Try: sudo apt-get install postgresql-8.2

I'm not sure about Ubuntu. Probably 8.2 isn't included in Intrepid
anymore. (packages.ubuntu.com is currently not responding) (Why don't
you stay at a LTS ubuntu version for a database server?)

If that's the case, try adding the Hardy Heron repository back to
/etc/apt/sources.list. If postgres-8.2 isn't available on Intrepid Ibex,
it then falls back to that from Hardy Heron.

After having installed that, you should be able to access your Postgres
8.2 data again. You can then do a dump/restore cycle to migrate from 8.2
to 8.3. You might want to check out pg_upgradecluster for that.

Good Luck

Markus Wanner