Re: Broken after upgrade

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: Broken after upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/6/2016 11:27 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> First, if possible copy your data dir and conf files somewhere for
> safety.

+1 !!!   must be first step.

> From the looks of it Fedora upgraded your Postgres from 9.4.x to
> 9.5.3. That constitutes a major upgrade and as the error says the data
> directory is no longer compatible.
>
> What Postgres versions are installed?
>
> Or did Fedora get rid of the Postgres 9.4 entirely?
>
> I do not use Fedora so I cannot get any more specific but this might
> help( I would still backup up your data directory manually, even if
> the instructions below say that is done for you):
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PostgreSQL
>
> in particular:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PostgreSQL#Upgrade

pretty much whatever you do, you'll need to install the 9.4 database
server software temporarily in a separate directory, and you'll need to
do the upgrade.

if your data is reasonable sized (say, under a few dozen gigabytes?),
the easiest upgrade is to fire up both servers (configure that 9.4 to
use a different port, like 5434), where 9.4 is running with your
existing data directory, and 9.5 is running a freshly initdb'd empty
database cluster, then do something like pg_dumpall -p 5434 | psql -p 5432

if the data is larger, that could take a really long time, so you'll
want to do a pg_upgrade, again with 9.4 configured for the existing
database, and 9.5 running on an empty new cluster, then follow the
pg_upgrade instructions on the website links above.   this goes much
faster if both 'data' directories are on the same file system, and you
use the 'links' option...