Re: Leftover TEMPORARY tables?

От Andrew Biagioni
Тема Re: Leftover TEMPORARY tables?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
4/24/03 9:28:49 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>Andrew Biagioni <andrew.biagioni@e-greek.net> writes:
>> My best estimate as to when they appear is when I abort a transaction in
>> PGAdminII by killing the corresponding process on the server ("kill -9
XXXX"),

>Yikes.  You're not serious are you?

Sorry, forget the " -9 " bit.  I only use that when I need to shut down
PostgreSQL and some process is not releasing at that time.

>That would certainly cause the backend to fail to clean up its temp
>tables...  not to mention that the postmaster will treat this as a
>system crash and force all the other backends to punt too.  Not the way
>I'd pick to cancel a misbehaving query.

With my "kill [procnum]" I don't seem to have any negative side effects, except
apparently for the temp tables (I _think_).  Does that seem reasonable?

>Try something less invasive next time, like kill -INT.
>
>            regards, tom lane

Thanks,

        Andrew