Re: Postgresql on software RAID

От Patrick Spinler
Тема Re: Postgresql on software RAID
Дата
Re: Postgresql on software RAID  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-admin
Adam Witney wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am experimenting with a few OS's for my new hardware. I plan to have a
> software RAID5 device for my pgsql data directory.
>
> I have been experimenting with FreeBSD and with Linux, does anyone have any
> thoughts on whether vinum RAID devices are better than Linux software RAID?
> Or vice versa... Or no difference at all? Any gotchas I should bear in mind?

Of interest, there are a number of "old school" dba's of my aquantance
who swear vociferously whenever the words RAID 5 and Database are
mentioned in association with each other.

According to the theory they expound, a database with any significant
write activity whatsoever should never be on raid 5, but instead be on
raid 0+1.

I've never had a chance to benchmark a comparison between the two and
draw my own conclusions, but it might be interesting to do so.

-- Pat