Re: Postgresql on software RAID

От Robert Creager
Тема Re: Postgresql on software RAID
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
When grilled further on (Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:30:04 -0600),
Patrick Spinler <spinler@kmtel.com> confessed:

> According to the theory they expound, a database with any significant
> write activity whatsoever should never be on raid 5, but instead be on
> raid 0+1.

Kind of related and a point of reference.  We use ClearCase and have many
multiple Gb vob's(databases). We were using RAID-5, but had to back off to RAID
0+1 because of performance reasons (which was indicated in the manual, once you
read it...). This would happen around 1-2Gb's vob size.  Our usage of CC
provides heavy writing activity to the underlying dB.

I don't know what kind of dB engine Atria->Rational->IBM has implemented
underneath, or even it it would look like a dB to someone who knew the
difference...

Cheers,
Rob

--
 21:42:33 up 4 days, 13:15,  1 user,  load average: 2.23, 2.10, 2.10

Вложения