Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.4 gets killed by SIG_KILL

От Magnus Naeslund(t)
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.4 gets killed by SIG_KILL
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.4 gets killed by SIG_KILL  (Doug McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Doug McNaught wrote:
> "Magnus Naeslund(t)" <mag@fbab.net> writes:
>

>>I have this big table running on an old linux install (kernel 2.2.25).
>>I've COPYed some tcpip logs into a table created as such:
>

> Linux is probably killing your process because it (the kernel) is low
> on memory.  Unfortunately, this happens more often with older versions
> of the kernel.  Add more RAM/swap or figure out how to make your query
> use less memory...
>
> -Doug

Well this just isn't the case.
There is no printout in kernel logs/dmesg (as it would be if the kernel
killed it in an OOM situation).
I have 1 GB of RAM, and 1.5 GB of swap (swap never touched).

When running the query i have about 850 MB sitting in kernel cache, the
postgres process takes about 40MB of memory, and the ipcs -m command
shows that postgresql is taking 41508864 bytes of shared memory.

There is no sorting or index lookups going on, the query is simple.
I just had an power outage, i'll check if it maybe wised up after reboot  or something, but i doubt it.

Is it possible to somehow find out what process sent the KILL (or if
it's the kernel) ?

I find this very weird to say the least...

Magnus