Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.4 gets killed by SIG_KILL

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.4 gets killed by SIG_KILL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Magnus Naeslund(t)" <mag@fbab.net> writes:

> Doug McNaught wrote:

>> Linux is probably killing your process because it (the kernel) is low
>> on memory.  Unfortunately, this happens more often with older versions
>> of the kernel.  Add more RAM/swap or figure out how to make your query
>> use less memory...
>> -Doug
>
> Well this just isn't the case.
> There is no printout in kernel logs/dmesg (as it would be if the
> kernel killed it in an OOM situation).
> I have 1 GB of RAM, and 1.5 GB of swap (swap never touched).

Ahh, that's an additional piece of information hat you didn't supply
earlier.  ;)

Though your system memory is ample, is it possible that you're hitting
a ulimit() on the stack size or heap size or something?  I'm not sure
what signal you'd get in such a case, though.

> Is it possible to somehow find out what process sent the KILL (or if
> it's the kernel) ?

Not that I know of, unless it's in a logfile somewhere.  You could try
strace(8) on the backend running the query--that might give you some
more info.

> I find this very weird to say the least...

Yah.  You might also consider running a more recent kernel, especially
with such a big machine.  2.2.X never did play that well with large
amounts of RAM...

-Doug