Re: data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3

От Oli Sennhauser
Тема Re: data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello admins

Tome Lane once wrote, if I remember well, that the biggest PostgreSQL DB
he knows is about 4 TB!!! In Oracle we normaly say, it is "not possible"
(= usefull) to exp/imp more than let's say 20 to 50 GB of data. This is
more ore less the same we do with pg_dumpall???
Oracle was not changing the Fileformat since version 8.0 (or it does the
conversion itself in the background?).

Now I would like to know:

* Experience of upgrading PostgreSQL db bigger than 100 GB???
* Recommendations, resp. what do the pg-kernel hackers think, when they
"allways" change the file format.
* Is there a upgrade-path instead of pg_dump?
* How can we be a "professional highend" database if we have to
pg_dump/load the data every year because of a new release?

Thanks for feedback and discussion
Oli

Tom Lane wrote:

>Gautam Saha <gsaha@imsa.edu> writes:
>

>>Any idea what might be the resolution here?
>>

>Put back your 7.1 executables and make a pg_dumpall run before you
>upgrade.  Then upgrade, initdb, reload the dump.
>
>            regards, tom lane

>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Oli Sennhauser
Database-Engineer (Oracle & PostgreSQL)
Rebenweg 6
CH - 8610 Uster / Switzerland

Phone (+41) 1 940 24 82 or Mobile (+41) 79 450 49 14
e-Mail oli.sennhauser@bluewin.ch
Website http://mypage.bluewin.ch/shinguz/PostgreSQL/

Secure (signed/encrypted) e-Mail with a Free Personal SwissSign ID: http://www.swisssign.ch

Import the SwissSign Root Certificate: http://swisssign.net/cgi-bin/trust/import