Обсуждение: data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3

data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3

От
Gautam Saha
Hi:

I just upgraded from 7.1->7.3, but did not take a data back up.
Now when i try to start the posrGreSQL server I get the message:

An old version of the database format was found.\nYou need to upgrade
the data format before using PostgreSQL.\nSee (Your System's
documentation directory)/postgresql-7.3/README.rpm-dist for more
information.

There is not much info on format change in the Docs.

Any idea what might be the resolution here?

Thanks,

Gautam

Re: data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3

Дата:
Gautam Saha <gsaha@imsa.edu> writes:
> Any idea what might be the resolution here?

Put back your 7.1 executables and make a pg_dumpall run before you
upgrade.  Then upgrade, initdb, reload the dump.

            regards, tom lane

Re: data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3

От
Oli Sennhauser
Дата:
Hello admins

Tome Lane once wrote, if I remember well, that the biggest PostgreSQL DB
he knows is about 4 TB!!! In Oracle we normaly say, it is "not possible"
(= usefull) to exp/imp more than let's say 20 to 50 GB of data. This is
more ore less the same we do with pg_dumpall???
Oracle was not changing the Fileformat since version 8.0 (or it does the
conversion itself in the background?).

Now I would like to know:

* Experience of upgrading PostgreSQL db bigger than 100 GB???
* Recommendations, resp. what do the pg-kernel hackers think, when they
"allways" change the file format.
* Is there a upgrade-path instead of pg_dump?
* How can we be a "professional highend" database if we have to
pg_dump/load the data every year because of a new release?

Thanks for feedback and discussion
Oli

Tom Lane wrote:

>Gautam Saha <gsaha@imsa.edu> writes:
>

>>Any idea what might be the resolution here?
>>

>Put back your 7.1 executables and make a pg_dumpall run before you
>upgrade.  Then upgrade, initdb, reload the dump.
>
>            regards, tom lane

>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Oli Sennhauser
Database-Engineer (Oracle & PostgreSQL)
Rebenweg 6
CH - 8610 Uster / Switzerland

Phone (+41) 1 940 24 82 or Mobile (+41) 79 450 49 14
e-Mail oli.sennhauser@bluewin.ch
Website http://mypage.bluewin.ch/shinguz/PostgreSQL/

Secure (signed/encrypted) e-Mail with a Free Personal SwissSign ID: http://www.swisssign.ch

Import the SwissSign Root Certificate: http://swisssign.net/cgi-bin/trust/import

Вложения

Re: data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3

От
Oli Sennhauser
Дата:
Thanks Jonathan and Kaolin fire

Technicaly it is clear to me, how it works. But on a SUN E10000 we had
hours to exp/imp 20-30 GB of data. And I do not think, that we were able
to exp/imp 1TB.

If somebody is telling me now, I have to do this several times a year
(how can I sell this to a customer???)... It is not a problem handling a
micky-mouse database. dump/load 100 GB I would gess it takes me more
than 12 h, 2 or 4 times a year makes an availability of less than 99%.
If I have 1 TB...???

Regards Oli

PS: It is not a technical question/problem its a strategical/marketing
question/problem.

7.0.0    2000-05-08 A dump/restore using pg_dump is required
7.1.0    2001-04-13 A dump/restore using pg_dump is required 11 months
7.2.0    2002-02-04 A dump/restore using pg_dump is required 10 months
7.3.0    2002-11-27 A dump/restore using pg_dump is required 9 months
7.4.0    2003-11-xx A dump/restore using pg_dump is required 12 months

Oli Sennhauser
Database-Engineer (Oracle & PostgreSQL)
Rebenweg 6
CH - 8610 Uster / Switzerland

Phone (+41) 1 940 24 82 or Mobile (+41) 79 450 49 14
e-Mail oli.sennhauser@bluewin.ch
Website http://mypage.bluewin.ch/shinguz/PostgreSQL/

Secure (signed/encrypted) e-Mail with a Free Personal SwissSign ID: http://www.swisssign.ch

Import the SwissSign Root Certificate: http://swisssign.net/cgi-bin/trust/import

Вложения

Re: data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 00:27:03 +0100,
  Oli Sennhauser <oli.sennhauser@bluewin.ch> wrote:

> If somebody is telling me now, I have to do this several times a year
> (how can I sell this to a customer???)... It is not a problem handling a
> micky-mouse database. dump/load 100 GB I would gess it takes me more
> than 12 h, 2 or 4 times a year makes an availability of less than 99%.
> If I have 1 TB...???

More like once a year. Only upgrades between major releases (e.g. 7.3.x
to 7.4.x) require dump and reloads.

People are looking at trying to do something about this, but it won't
happen for 7.4. Maybe by the time 7.5 is released there will be a better
way to upgrade.

Re: data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 12:27:03AM +0100, Oli Sennhauser wrote:

> If somebody is telling me now, I have to do this several times a year
> (how can I sell this to a customer???)... It is not a problem handling a
> micky-mouse database. dump/load 100 GB I would gess it takes me more
> than 12 h, 2 or 4 times a year makes an availability of less than 99%.
> If I have 1 TB...???

You can use one of the replication systems, dump/restore to a second
copy of the database (over many hours, yes), start replicating into
that newly-restored database, and then take your outage just long
enough to catch up any changes.  Of course, you need twice the disk,
which is a pain, but it's certainly not impossible.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110