Re: State of Beta 2

От Dennis Gearon
Тема Re: State of Beta 2
Дата
Re: State of Beta 2  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Ron Johnson wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 10:50, Andrew Rawnsley wrote:
>

>>Small soapbox moment here...
>>
>>ANYTHING that can be done to eliminate having to do an initdb on
>>version changes would make a lot of people do cartwheels. 'Do a
>>dump/reload' sometimes comes across a bit casually on the lists (my
>>apologies if it isn't meant to be), but it can be be incredibly onerous
>>to do on a large production system. That's probably why you run across
>>people running stupid-old versions.
>>

>And this will become even more of an issue as it's PG's popularity
>grows with large and 24x7 databases.

He is right, it might be a good idea to head this problem 'off at the
pass'. I am usually pretty good at predicting technilogical trends. I've
made some money at it. And I predict that Postgres will eclipse MySQL
and be in the top 5 of all databases deployed. But it does have some
achilles tendon's.