Re: SAP DB: The unsung Open Source DB

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: SAP DB: The unsung Open Source DB
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 24 Jul 2003 at 10:00, Tom Lane wrote:

> Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> writes:
> > There's a multi-year plan to "bring the code bases closer together" which
> > sounds like one of those big projects that always make me nervous.
>
> Just between us chickens, I hope they do spend multiple man-years trying
> to merge those two codebases.  It'll keep them distracted from
> accomplishing anything useful ;-).

IMO bigger problem mysql have is the attitude of being simple and doing things
their own way. Whether or not they merge with SAP, they need to get rid of that
attitude to move furthther.

And once they git rid of that attitude, their success so far will become their
enemy for keeping backword compatibility, simplicity and still achieve standard
compliant, all over performing feature rich database.

Open source or commercial, I doubt if it would be anytime sooner that mysql
catches postgresql at least in terms of being on same scale..

Just a thought..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Mix's Law:    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary building.    There is
nothing more permanent than a temporary tax.