Re: Unicode database question

От Tino Wildenhain
Тема Re: Unicode database question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Lanna,

we are running postgresql with UNICODE encoding on a regular
basis for our shop. This basically means it stores and retrieves
strings as utf-8 encoded. If you dont need special collating
rules, thats the way to go. However we are using Python/Zope
in front of the DB for presentation and maybe PHP behaves
differently. Another problem with Web-Clients is, that they
sometimes send forms with a default charset and not with what
your form HTML originally had. Meaning you send a page
with utf-8 and the post-resquest goes in as iso8859-1 or something
like that. This is irritating and should be investigated.
Try a simple recording proxy or packet sniffer with tcp-stream
assembling ability to log whats going over the wire.
One solution to the browsers bug is to mark the page with
a well known string which gets sent in the answer (say hidden
form field) and undergoes the same charset rules as the rest of
the form. If then you get your string back with the answer you
can check the encoding/charset.

HTH
Tino Wildenhain