Re: pgadmin3 query tools

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: pgadmin3 query tools
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

>That's fine with me. My major concern is that the code that drives the
>grid is only written once. This is likely to get quite complex once
>editting features are added, and I don't want to maintain 2 copies. I
>always want to keep the look and feel consistant.
>
>So, how about we create a class derived from the wxNotebook as Andreas
>suggests, which can just be passed the completed query to display the
>results and allow editting thereof (where possible), and display explain
>output (and hopefully one day we can add a visual explain tab).

Hi,

I don't think it's a good idea trying to inject editing features in the
current wxListView. Actually, my first implementation used wxGrid, but
was a real pain for bigger result sets. SELECT * from pg_attribute (200
rows) wouldn't complete within 30 seconds, and the destruction of a 2000
row grid (without data) would consume several seconds! From that times,
we got that split elapsed seconds display to see how the time splits
between query execution and result retrieval.

Actually, I see YAQT (yet another query tool) for editing a table. You
just pick a table (maybe view), hit "Edit" and scroll up and down in
there. It must be capable of unlimited rows, which isn't easy but can be
done (I already implemented something like that in earlier days). And it
should have inline editing, feels better than the current pgadmin2 solution.

We got different recommendations, so we need different tools. If we try
to put all into one, we get only second best. And you will agree, pgsql
is worth only the best.

Regards,

Andreas

Сообщение: Re: pgadmin3: present and future
Сообщение: Re: pgadmin3: present and future