Re: Another XP Pro experience

От David P. Caldwell
Тема Re: Another XP Pro experience
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Jason:

I don't know whether you prefer to be copied on these messages to the list or not, so I've done it this time.

To the topic,

Jason Tishler wrote:
I have a privileged user (root) and an unprivileged user (me), in
addition to the postgres user.  AFAICT, the second user to log on to
Windows cannot connect using psql (or seemingly by any other method).
So if a user logs into the system, then another user logs in, the
second can't connect.
Does your postmaster accept TCP/IP connections (i.e., runs with the "-i"
option)?  If so, can the second user connect via?
   $ psql -h localhost

I will repeat my plea for help:
   Note that I have no access to XP Home or Pro.  So, I cannot update   my README until those with access provide the needed information.   Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason:

Good thinkin'.  Yes, I do accept TCP/IP connections, and yes, they do work even for the second user, at least this morning.  But the "local" connections don't (I made sure to check again this morning now that I'm fully alert).  As a caveat, I've been seeing failures with my JDBC application also (which is what caused me to start digging in the first place), which also (obviously) uses TCP/IP connections, so I will have to investigate further.  Right now I can't reproduce those failures, so perhaps one of the 19 other changes/diagnostics I tried has fixed this somehow.

And yes, I'd be happy to keep you (and everyone) updated on my experiences with XP Pro and pgsql-cygwin.  So far, that's my only platform-specific issue (others have been the standard file permissions issues on /var/log, /tmp/Multi*, /tmp/cygipc, etc.).

Speaking of permissions, for the real XP newbie (from whom Jason will eventually receive E-mail if we don't take pre-emptive action, and perhaps even if we do), it may be worth pointing out that file security settings are disabled by default, even on XP Pro.  XP Pro starts in "simple file sharing" mode (turn it off in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options), which presumably chooses a simple set of defaults and removes the "Security" tab from the file properties dialog.  It took a while to find, since most MS documentation assumes you've turned it off in advance.  (Quite jarring as it kept saying "click the 'Security' tab," which didn't exist.)  The Cygwin ntsec stuff (chown etc.) seems to work fine though, regardless of "mode."

-- David.