Re: Another XP Pro experience

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: Another XP Pro experience
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
David,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 08:51:06AM -0500, David P. Caldwell wrote:
> I don't know whether you prefer to be copied on these messages to the
> list or not, so I've done it this time.

Thanks for asking about my preferences -- it is appreciated.  As long a
mailing list is one of the addressees, then I'm happy.  My procmail
recipes will de-dup (or dup) to meet my needs.  I don't make a fuss
about dups (because I don't get them unless I want to).  However,
private email is another story... :,)

> Good thinkin'.  Yes, I do accept TCP/IP connections, and yes, they do
> work even for the second user, at least this morning.  But the "local"
> connections don't (I made sure to check again this morning now that
> I'm fully alert).  As a caveat, I've been seeing failures with my JDBC
> application also (which is what caused me to start digging in the
> first place), which also (obviously) uses TCP /IP connections, so I
> will have to investigate further.  Right now I can't reproduce those
> failures, so perhaps one of the 19 other changes/diagnostics I tried
> has fixed this somehow.

What is the permissions of the postmaster's AF_UNIX socket file?

    $ ls -l /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
    srwxrwxrwt    1 jt       None           51 Jan 13 15:32 /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432

Are yours more restrictive then above?  If so, then this could explain
your local connection problems.

> And yes, I'd be happy to keep you (and everyone) updated on my
> experiences with XP Pro and pgsql-cygwin.  So far, that's my only
> platform-specific issue (others have been the standard file
> permissions issues on /var/log, /tmp/Multi *, /tmp/cygipc, etc.).

Thanks!

> Speaking of permissions, for the real XP newbie (from whom Jason will
> eventually receive E-mail if we don't take pre-emptive action, and
> perhaps even if we do), it may be worth pointing out that file
> security settings are disabled by default, even on XP Pro.
> [snip]

Just a WAG, but maybe the above is confusing Cygwin's setup.exe (which
is a straight Win32 app and currently does *not* "use" ntsec) into
creating files and directories with problematic permissions?

Thanks,
Jason