Re: Another XP Pro experience

От David P. Caldwell
Тема Re: Another XP Pro experience
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Jason Tishler wrote:
Good thinkin'.  Yes, I do accept TCP/IP connections, and yes, they do
work even for the second user, at least this morning.  But the "local"
connections don't (I made sure to check again this morning now that
I'm fully alert).  As a caveat, I've been seeing failures with my JDBC
application also (which is what caused me to start digging in the
first place), which also (obviously) uses TCP /IP connections, so I
will have to investigate further.  Right now I can't reproduce those
failures, so perhaps one of the 19 other changes/diagnostics I tried
has fixed this somehow.
What is the permissions of the postmaster's AF_UNIX socket file?
   $ ls -l /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432   srwxrwxrwt    1 jt       None           51 Jan 13 15:32 /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432

Are yours more restrictive then above?  If so, then this could explain
your local connection problems.
Not that I can see through the UNIX side -- although the lockfile is.

$ ls -al .s*
srwxrwxrwt    1 postgres None           51 Jan 13 12:50 .s.PGSQL.5432=
-rw-------    1 postgres None           32 Jan 13 12:50 .s.PGSQL.5432.lock

Speaking of permissions, for the real XP newbie (from whom Jason will
eventually receive E-mail if we don't take pre-emptive action, and
perhaps even if we do), it may be worth pointing out that file
security settings are disabled by default, even on XP Pro.
[snip]
Just a WAG, but maybe the above is confusing Cygwin's setup.exe (which
is a straight Win32 app and currently does *not* "use" ntsec) into
creating files and directories with problematic permissions?
My own WAG would be "no" -- that the XP default is simply "skinning" the underlying permissions and that the change in modes only affects the UI level.  As, um, "evidence" I would cite the fact that the option is under the "View" tab in Windows Explorer folder options, that unprivileged users appear to be allowed to change it, and that privileged users don't get a confirmation dialog when changing it.  (A counterargument would be that unchecking that option in my unprivileged account currently appears to have no effect -- the "Security" tab still shows up on a file's property sheet.)  It's possible the answer is somewhat in-between -- that it affects *defaults* at the API level, rather than just the UI level.  (Toggling the mode using the privileged account at least doesn't appear to blow away the more "complicated" permissions.)

Gosh, maybe if I paid the money to subscribe to MSDN I could sort this out ... :)

-- David.