Re: pg and number of parameters by insert

От Jean-Christian Imbeault
Тема Re: pg and number of parameters by insert
Дата
Список pgsql-general
pginfo wrote:

 > No, it will help to correct many apps not to break.(Sorry).

I mean it will break current applications that expect no error to be
thrown if the wrong number of values are passed into an insert statement.

Either way, I wonder what the SQL specs say about this.

What do you say thos in the know, do the SQL specs have anything to say
about what happens when an insert inserts less values than the total
number of columns?

I'm guessing it says that this is fine ... I would be very surprised if
it said otherwise and Postgres wasn't up to spec on such a simple thing.

So Ivan, if the specs specifically say that this condition is acceptable
then there is nothing to be done I would think ...

But maybe one of the developers can or someone who knows the specs can
shed some light on this if you really want more info.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jc