Re: Postgres performance slowly gets worse over a month

От Michael G. Martin
Тема Re: Postgres performance slowly gets worse over a month
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I played with this tonight writing a small insert/update routine and
frequent vacuums.  Here is what I came up with ( (PostgreSQL) 7.2.1 )

Once a table reaches a certain size, it will not auto shrink.  This
behavior is common for performance reasons.  The way to re-use space is
to run the vacuum which will mark deleted tuples as unused.  Once your
table has unused tuples, inserts and updates will go into the unused
tuples areas before additional space is allocated.  ( there may be some
additional restrictions on this--like does the new tuple fit and not
cross page boundaries--but I don't know enough to say exactly) .

In addition, max_fsm_pages has an impact on how many pages will be
available to be marked as re-usable.  If you have a huge table and
changes are impacting more than the default 10,000 pages this is set to,
you will want to bump this number up.  My problem was I saw my UnUsed
tuples always growing and not being re-used until I bumped this value
up.  As I watched the vacuum verbose output each run, I notices more
than 10k pages were in fact changing between vacuums.

Your table will grow to an optimal size until the the amount of
inserts,updates,deletes balances out.  Of course, if you insert more
than you delete, your database will always grow.  But, if the number of
tuples at some point becomes fixed in the table, and you vacuum enough
in between all the inserts and updates, your table size will stop growing.

If you are vacuuming 4 times a day, yet the amount of tuples inserted
and updated exceeds the current UnUsed tuples, your table will continue
to grow.  With the addition of the lazy vacuum, there should be no
problem increasing the frequency of your vacuums to accomodate the
excessive changes being done to the table.  Get the changed tuples
marked unused as often as you can so as not to create a new tuple with
an update or insert.

Just how big are your tables getting?  How often are you vacuuming now,
and how many tuples are marked as UnUsed and how many tuples are
changing between vacuums?

I have a large table with 20+million records which flattend out around
3.5 gigs.  It only really gets updated once each day with a vacuum
following.  Since I add to the table daily, i expect some growth.  I
noticed the problem with this table growing to be 2x that size when the
unused tuples would not go down, but kept growing each day.  Ager
changing max_fsm_pages like I mentioned above, the unused tuples stays
fairly fixed and the database only grows a little each day as expected.

Hope this helps get you out of trouble.

--Michael