Re: Question: merit / feasibility of compressing frontend

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Question: merit / feasibility of compressing frontend
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

  Without getting into a huge debate over which implementation is better. I can suffice to say that we have seen significant demand for this solution without the obnoxiousness of ssh. SSH is great for lots of stuff, but you are adding an addition user layer application to manage. Our implementation will make it so that you literally just say compression=yes in the connection string and boom.... it's compressed.

   There is a real commercial need, when dealing with VPN's, remote users, and web based distributed applications for something like this.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

Chris Albertson wrote:
Does the ODBC or JDBC interface use compression?  I think these
are more likely to be used over a non-LAN connection.

The other use for compression would be for a data sync between
two database installations that are geographically distributed.The idea
is that two offices would each have a local DBMS but the link
between them is slow.  Compression could help in that case.

Compression is not all that hard to set up using port forwarding
proxies
like you thought.  In fact ssh can do it already if you specify the
"-C" option.