Re: Question: merit / feasibility of compressing frontend <--> backend transfers w/ zlib

От Chris Albertson
Тема Re: Question: merit / feasibility of compressing frontend <--> backend transfers w/ zlib
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Does the ODBC or JDBC interface use compression?  I think these
are more likely to be used over a non-LAN connection.

The other use for compression would be for a data sync between
two database installations that are geographically distributed.The idea
is that two offices would each have a local DBMS but the link
between them is slow.  Compression could help in that case.

Compression is not all that hard to set up using port forwarding
proxies
like you thought.  In fact ssh can do it already if you specify the
"-C" option.

--- Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 12:01:03PM -0700, pgsql-general wrote:
> >   As one of my first projects I'm been asked to compress with zlib
> > (www.gzip.org/zlib ) data flowing from postgres clients to and
> > especially from the backend server.  Our first idea was to write a
> sort
> > of 'compression proxy' with a frontend and backend of its own. The
> > postgres client would connect to the compression frontend on their
<SNIP>

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278@yahoo.com