Re: Question: merit / feasibility of compressing frontend

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Question: merit / feasibility of compressing frontend
Дата
Re: Question: merit / feasibility of compressing frontend  (jd@crazypenguins.postgresql.org)
Список pgsql-general
>    There is a real commercial need, when dealing with VPN's, remote
> users, and web based distributed applications for something like this.

This unsubstantiated opinion doesn't really do much to change my
opinion.  We have seen maybe two or three prior requests for compression
(which does not qualify as a groundswell); furthermore they were all "it
would be nice if..." handwaving, with no backup data to convince anyone
that any real performance gain would emerge in common scenarios.  So I'm
less than eager to buy into the portability and interoperability
pitfalls that are likely to emerge from requiring clients and servers to
have zlib.