Re: Question: merit / feasibility of compressing frontend

От jd@crazypenguins.postgresql.org
Тема Re: Question: merit / feasibility of compressing frontend
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

  All due respect Tom, I am not asking you to. We (CMD) have specific
instances of projects that will require this feature. I have also spoke
with others that have requested that we do something like this for their
projects, although we will not benefit from them. This is why I have
authorized my programmer to implement the feature.

  We see a benefit, in compressing result sets for transfer to clients. In
a lot of instances it would take less time to compress and decompress a
result set, than to actually transfer the result set across the wire in
plain text.

  If you are dealing with 1 meg of text, across a distributed application
where the client connect via a VPN at 56k, we are talking 4 minutes. If we
compress and send it across that could be 30 seconds (mileage will vary).

  Besides, we are not asking the PostgreSQL team to implement the feature,
just to help us understand the existing code a little better (which I
realize now, my budding programmer did not word very well), so that we may
implement it within our code base.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

We are not asking the PostgreSQL team to do so.