Re: What popular, large commercial websites run PostgreSQL?

От Fran Fabrizio
Тема Re: What popular, large commercial websites run PostgreSQL?
Дата
Re: What popular, large commercial websites run PostgreSQL?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: What popular, large commercial websites run PostgreSQL?  ("Joel Burton" <joel@joelburton.com>)
Список pgsql-general
 > which run PostgreSQL as their main database server. Is there any
webpage or
 > other resource which lists PSQL-backed sites, or can anyone name any
sites
 > running PSQL for me?

Rich,

I asked essentially this same question a few weeks back (and I'm one of
a long line of people who've asked the same question if you search the
archives. =)

The bottom line (and people will disagree with me but I just spent the
better part of a day trying to answer this question) is that you will
not find a good source of this information.

People will refer you to the user gallery at pgsql.com.  I will tell you
right now it's not only quite out of date, but does not contain the
kinds of projects that management would recognize.  (This is not to say
the user gallery is a bad idea - I commend the folks who set it up.  But
it relies on users to provide accurate and current data, and that's not
happening.)

The best I came up with is that the .info registry is run off of a Pg
database (I believe there's a post or two about it in the archives, they
had some fairly impressive stats).  Other than that, there's really not
much in the way of large commercial companies using Pg that are willing
to advertise that fact.

I also found the tinyest of blurbs that intimated that Verizon Wireless
used Pg on a project and presented a talk about it at an open source
database conference in the fall, but I was unable to find any followup
information.

Finally, there's a project in the state of Texas involving all non-rural
inpatient hospital records.  You'll also be able to read more about that
in the archives because it was discussed here.

That's not much and didn't go very far in exciting my management but
that's all I could come up with.  It's quite possible that either it's
not being used by many large commercial corporations (at least in the
US) or that those corporations are not going to admit that for whatever
stigma they feel is associated with using open source software.

It's a shame, but what can we do?  If you have better luck please let me
know.

-Fran