Re: What popular, large commercial websites run PostgreSQL?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: What popular, large commercial websites run PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Fran Fabrizio <ffabrizio@mmrd.com> writes:
> I also found the tinyest of blurbs that intimated that Verizon Wireless
> used Pg on a project and presented a talk about it at an open source
> database conference in the fall, but I was unable to find any followup
> information.

They were supposed to present a talk about it :-(.  Last year's OSDB
conference was late September, and a number of people didn't show
because they were afraid to fly after 9/11.  Including Verizon's man.
I was disappointed because I really wanted to hear about it ... but IIRC
they are using Pg to run a text-messaging service of some kind.

The largest-scale Pg project that I can recall hearing about is that
the American Chemical Society is stuffing page images of their entire
library (150 years' worth of journals) into a database.  Terabytes.
You can find something about it in our mailing list archives.

> That's not much and didn't go very far in exciting my management but
> that's all I could come up with.  It's quite possible that either it's
> not being used by many large commercial corporations (at least in the
> US) or that those corporations are not going to admit that for whatever
> stigma they feel is associated with using open source software.

I think people tend to look at it as unexciting infrastructure.  Do
corporations make a point of telling you what hardware they run their
websites on?  What OS?  What webserver software?  As a rule not (in
fact, a reasonably paranoid sysadmin would make a point of *not* giving
out that info, in case some cracker knows about vulnerabilities in those
particular systems).  The database is unlikely to be any different.
There might be lots of Pg-backed websites out there, but we have no good
way to know.