character sets and results

От Graham Leggett
Тема character sets and results
Дата
Re: character sets and results  ("Joe Shevland" <jshevland@j-elite.com>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi all,

I have been asked to fix a piece of code that submits queries to a
database, and returns string data that could possibly contain characters
with accents.

When the code returns the data (using standard SQL select statements)
the accented characters are replaced with a "?" character.

I have some other code which works correctly using the same select
statements, however in the other code a third party class is being used
to handle the database connections - I assume therefore that the
character sets being used are somehow specified on connection.

I have been trawling the postgresql-jdbc docs some for dome kind of
explanation on how to correctly handle different character sets, however
I have had no luck. Can anyone shed some light? Am I looking in the
right place?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm        "There's a moon