Re: Hierarchical Queries--Stalled No Longer...

От Anthony Molinaro
Тема Re: Hierarchical Queries--Stalled No Longer...
Дата
Re: Hierarchical Queries--Stalled No Longer...  ("Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
So is postgresql going into the direction of WITH or CONNECT BY (or
both)?

I am authoring O'Reilly's "SQL Cookbook" and I'd like to mention it in
the
Hierarchical chapter to give the pg readers a heads up.

Thanks and regards, Anthony Molinaro

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Josh Berkus
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 2:02 PM
To: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org; Jonah H. Harris
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Hierarchical Queries--Stalled No Longer...

Jonah,

> Tom, Bruce, Simon, Alvaro, Josh, et al., have you guys used the patch?
> If so, what comments do you have as to what you'd like to see.

Unfortunately, yes I have. I had to help several users who got burned by

it: the patch was buggy as all-get out.  For example, it wouldn't access

TOAST tables, so any TEXT fields larger than 500chars got cut off; and
wouldn't support user-added data types or domains.  (This was a year
ago,
so maybe Evgen fixed these things)

So it's really nice of Evgen to re-license, but the license was *not*
the
primary thing blocking acceptance of the patch.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions