Re: Re: new type proposal

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Re: new type proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Martin A. Marques" wrote:

> El Mar 06 Feb 2001 19:26, Sam Snow escribió:
> > OK... if this is the case, would a situation like this be a good example to
> > have on the PG website in a generic form? Then, those of us who are just
> > learning SQL and Postgresql can know how to do this correctly.
> >
> > When I was playing with PHP, I always appreciated how their documentation
> > had the ability for people to add examples and comments to the
> > documentation. I often learned more from these than the real docs.
>
> Totally with you on this one!!!! :-)
> I think THAT would be of great help, especially for SQL newbies.

Maybe what we need is some sort of module system for these things so you
could do something like:

USE MODULE auto_timestamp ON foo (last_modified)

which could apply the rules/triggers to the relevant table/column. Two
big pluses I can think of:

1. It lets lots of non-developers contribute (e.g. me) without hacking C.
2. You are using standard language features so you can learn from
modules or cut and paste if you loathe them.

I don't know how complex module support would be, but CPAN doesn't seem
to have done perl any harm.

- Richard Huxton