Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:
>
> > I think featureism is the the most prominent argument for PostgreSQL.

Exactly! Altough it has already lost much of it ;(

> > Thus standing before a decision to eighter fix GiST bugs and risc a new
> > bug (limited to GiST) because of an added feature or shipping a known
> > broken GiST, my vote would definitely be to add Oleg's patch.

That's my vote too, specially if there will be some regression tests
accompanying the patches. The current (pre-patch) state of affairs with
GiST could probably be described as security-by-obscurity anyhow i.e.
"we have't tried it so we think it probably works" ;-)

Also I suspect there are still only a few users, most of them capable of
fixing inside gist.c if something nasti turns up.
They will be much more motivated to do so if it is in "official" sources
and not in the sources from postgresql-gist.org or somesuch ;)

> Definetely, our changes limited to GiST insert algorithm only.
> Other changes are bugfixes.

So applying _only_ bugfixes may also not be an option as they are not
well tested without the changed gist.c

Hannu