Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> That's my vote too, specially if there will be some regression tests
> accompanying the patches. The current (pre-patch) state of affairs with
> GiST could probably be described as security-by-obscurity anyhow i.e.
> "we have't tried it so we think it probably works" ;-)

Au contraire, there *are* a few users of GiST out there now, Gene Selkov
to name one.  So there is a definite risk of breaking things that worked
in 7.0 and before, in the name of adding new features.

If I thought that we had adequate ability to test the new GiST
implementation during the remaining beta period, I wouldn't be
so worried.  But at this point, Oleg's changes could not appear
in the beta series before beta4, and between the late date, the
lack of regression test, and the few interested people to test it,
I doubt that we'll get any useful coverage.

I would recommend that Oleg do like Ryan K. did for awhile with the
Alpha patches: make them available as a set of diffs to be applied
to the official distribution.  We'll be happy to merge them in for
7.2, but the calendar says it's too late for 7.1.