Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

> > > Urgh.  Dropping in a total rewrite when we're already past
> > beta3 doesn't
> > > strike me as good project management practice --- especially if the
> > > rewrite was done to add features (ie variable-size keys) not merely
> > > fix bugs.  I think it might be more prudent to hold this for 7.2.
> >
> > OK. If our changes will not go to 7.1, is't possible to create
> > feature archive and announce it somewhere. It would be  nice if
> > people could test it. Anyway, I'll create web page with all
> > docs and patches. I'm afraid one more year to 7.2 is enough for
> > GiST to die :-)
>
> I think featureism is the the most prominent argument for PostgreSQL.
> Thus standing before a decision to eighter fix GiST bugs and risc a new
> bug (limited to GiST) because of an added feature or shipping a known
> broken GiST, my vote would definitely be to add Oleg's patch.

Definetely, our changes limited to GiST insert algorithm only.
Other changes are bugfixes. I encourage people interested in GiST
to test my submission. Our implementation of RD-Tree which we used
to support of indexing of int4 arrays will works only with our
version of gist.c (actually our interest to GiST was motivated by
index support of int4 arrays).
Regards,
    Oleg

> Andreas

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83