red hat/mysql fiasco

От Alessio Bragadini
Тема red hat/mysql fiasco
Дата
Re: red hat/mysql fiasco  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@protecne.cl>)
Re: red hat/mysql fiasco  (teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød))
Список pgsql-general
We should be nice and professional on holiday season but sorry, I
couldn't help myself: at
<http://freshmeat.net/news/2000/12/21/977385850.html>
we can read

"The MySQL packages shipped with Red Hat Linux 7 contained buggy
assembler code. When compiled with optimization
   enabled, this code caused the database server to return bad results.
Also, a case where you can crash the database by a
   specific, valid query has been fixed. Updated packages are available
from updates.redhat.com. "

Just to make it a little in-topic I would like to 1) thanks Core team
and all hackers and packagers for never putting us into such trouble and
2) issue a vehement cry - PLEASE assure things will stay this way, and
we can reasonably trust every release.

I do believe 2001 will be the big year for PostgreSql.

P.S. RedHat chose to ship a beta version of MySql with RH7, so I believe
that's more their fault than MySql people - but indeed there must be
also a serious flaw in source code.

--
Alessio F. Bragadini            alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services          http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"
                -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925