Re: red hat/mysql fiasco

От Mike Castle
Тема Re: red hat/mysql fiasco
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 11:46:33AM +0200, Alessio Bragadini wrote:
> "The MySQL packages shipped with Red Hat Linux 7 contained buggy
> assembler code. When compiled with optimization
>    enabled, this code caused the database server to return bad results.

> P.S. RedHat chose to ship a beta version of MySql with RH7, so I believe
> that's more their fault than MySql people - but indeed there must be
> also a serious flaw in source code.

I would tend to think this would be a bug in gcc.

For instance, gcc (2.95.2 at least) produces buggy code involving "long
long int" under certain circumstances.  Sure hope PostgreSQL doesn't use
"long long int" anywhere.  Or someone might say that's a serious flaw in
the source code that gcc generated buggy assembler code.

[Actually, the beta version of the gcc compiler that RH is now shipping
with doesn't have this particular long long bug, but the latest official
release of gcc does.]

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  dalgoda@ix.netcom.com  and be right all the time, or not work at all