Re: Implementing mod_perl, Perl 5.004, and Postgres

От Jimi Thompson
Тема Re: Implementing mod_perl, Perl 5.004, and Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Dennis,

I am posting in the hopes that this helps some other poor Slowlaris user.  After much hair pulling and assistance
from some very kind people (Dennis, Dana, etc.), I have my application installed.

My current OS is solaris 2.6 (on this box).  For those not familiar is Sparc-Solaris 2.6, about all you get from a
standard install is a command prompt.  There isn't enough software there to actually DO anything except maybe make
the cursor blink.  Well, it's not really THAT bad, but it is certainly very close to it.

In order for any of this to work (CPAN, DBI, DBD, etc.), you need to apply approximately 60 MB of patches to your
OS.  I'm not sure which individual patch did the job and I have absolutely no intention of testing to find out.
If you, dear reader, care to please feel free to do so.  I, however, wash my hands of the process.

In frustration, I contacted Sun who advised me to apply the y2k patches and the "recommend bundle" of patches,
which I have done.  This seems to have resolved the continuing issues I have had with package dependencies.
HALLELUJAH!

This then allowed the DBI to install.  In turn this allowed the DBD to install, along with a current version of
CPAN, which does at least try to resolve the package dependencies it encounters.  Now, all I have to do is tweak
my scripts and all will be well in the world.

Final word of warning - watch those users and file permissions in the scripts accessing the database.

--
Jimi Thompson
Web Master
L3 communications

"It's the same thing we do every night, Pinky."

Вложения