Re: killing old connections

От Reiner Dassing
Тема Re: killing old connections
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello Tim!

Tim White wrote:

> Is there a way to view the active/inactive connections to PostgreSQL 6.5.3?

I have the same problems, but I solved it by using the following
algorithm:

1. Get a list all processes of the postmaster by
   ps -u postgres | grep /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster

2. If there is just 1 process, finish

3. Determine the pid's (Process IDs) of all the processes of step 1

4. Determine the PPIDs (Parent PIDs) of all processes, by
   ps -p PID -o ppid
   (well, this line is for Tru64; you have to ask your man page for your
switches)

5. Determine the process which is the father of all your processes,
   this is the one which has as its father the PID 1

   The father postmaster so to say is not the process you should look at
   during the further steps.

6. For all the other PIDs do
   - determine the elapsed sleeping time and ist state
     by    ps -p PID -o etime,sl,state (under Tru64)
   - if the sleeping time is greater than ??? hours (or minutes)
     kill it by 'kill PID'

This algorithm was implemented in PERL and is running every hour
via cron.

Maybe that helps

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With best regards
   Reiner Dassing