Re: Revisited: Transactions, insert unique.

От Ed Loehr
Тема Re: Revisited: Transactions, insert unique.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
davidb@vectormath.com wrote:

> Hi Lincoln,
>
> I'm not sure I'm understanding your question, but it seems like this is
> something that
> ought to be handled programmatically.  That is, query the table to see if
> the row exists,
> then decide what you are going to do (insert or update) based on the results
> of your
> query.

Good point.  And you can combine the check David suggests with the insert
statement, e.g.,

    INSERT INTO mytable (id, ...)
        SELECT 7, ...
        FROM mytable
        WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE id = 7)

And then check the return result for number of rows inserted.  '0' means an
update is needed.  I don't remember if there is cleaner more efficient
manner for doing that, but probably so...

Regards,
Ed Loehr