Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 6.4 problems on Linux.

От Kevin Lo
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 6.4 problems on Linux.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Fabio Mancinelli wrote:
>   >On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Kevin Lo wrote:
>   >
>   >> % IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=543200
>   >> 1, size=831176, permission=600
>   >> FATAL 1:  ShmemCreate: cannot create region
>   >>
>   >If I am not wrong shmem has to do with X shared memory extension from MIT.
>   >Probably you try to run postgres not on the host you are logged on.
>   >I've seen that postgres can be compiled with X support. Try to disable it.
>   >
>   >Bye
>   >
>   >P.S. : Probably I am completely wrong! :)
>
> I think so...  I am able to start the postmaster with -i in Linux 2.0.34.
>
> The error '(Invalid argument)' is presumably from the kernel:
>
> >From the kernel code:
>         if (size > shp->shm_segsz)
>                 return -EINVAL;
>
> This bit of code is run if an existing shared memory segment is found;
> so the problem seems to be that the segment found is too small for the
> request made of it.
>
> I suggest that he use ipcrm to clear shared memory segments and then try
> again.

Hi, Oliver,

I don't know how to use ipcrm, would you like to teach me, thanks.
For example, I run ipcrm shm,  it displays:

ipcrm shm
usage: ipcrm [shm | msg | sem] id

What does 'id' mean?

> One puzzle for me is that ipcs does not report any shared memory in use,
> even with two backends using the same database.  I thought shared memory
> was used to do locking??
>
> (This may be to do with the fact that I am not running my normal kernel
> version at the moment.)

I think maybe that's the 6.4 problem, because I can run postmaster on 6.3 with
no problems.
Now I can't find 6.3 source code, so please help me, thank you very much!

- Kevin.

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 6.4 problems on Linux.
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 6.4 problems on Linux.