Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 6.4 problems on Linux.

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 6.4 problems on Linux.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Fabio Mancinelli wrote:
  >On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Kevin Lo wrote:
  >
  >> % IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=543200
  >> 1, size=831176, permission=600
  >> FATAL 1:  ShmemCreate: cannot create region
  >>
  >If I am not wrong shmem has to do with X shared memory extension from MIT.
  >Probably you try to run postgres not on the host you are logged on.
  >I've seen that postgres can be compiled with X support. Try to disable it.
  >
  >Bye
  >
  >P.S. : Probably I am completely wrong! :)

I think so...  I am able to start the postmaster with -i in Linux 2.0.34.

The error '(Invalid argument)' is presumably from the kernel:

From the kernel code:
        if (size > shp->shm_segsz)
                return -EINVAL;

This bit of code is run if an existing shared memory segment is found;
so the problem seems to be that the segment found is too small for the
request made of it.

I suggest that he use ipcrm to clear shared memory segments and then try
again.

One puzzle for me is that ipcs does not report any shared memory in use,
even with two backends using the same database.  I thought shared memory
was used to do locking??

(This may be to do with the fact that I am not running my normal kernel
version at the moment.)
     "Let all that you do be done in love."
                                      1 Corinthians 16:14