Re: advocacy: drupal and PostgreSQL

От Alex Turner
Тема Re: advocacy: drupal and PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I evaluated Drupal with PostgreSQL, but it wasn't powerful enough, and it's written in PHP which is buggy, and lots of modules force you to use MySQL which is not ACID (I'm sorry but inserting 31-Feb-2008 and not throwing an error by default makes you non-ACID in my book).  PostgreSQL support was spotty at best, and it sounds like one would have received precious little help from the Drupal community.

I plumped for Plone SQLAlchemy and Postgresql instead.

Alex

On Jan 17, 2008 3:42 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Jan 17, 2008 1:43 PM, Tom Hart < tomhart@coopfed.org> wrote:

> Obviously emotion has gotten the better of me which is why I won't post
> to the drupal boards/lists

Really, honestly, you're controlling it quite well.  Passion is fine.
As long as the lists stay civil, passion has its place.

> (I might be accused of flaming and I don't
> want to paint the pgSQL community in a negative light), but I think that
> somebody should let the drupal people know that we're still here and
> we'd like to use the new drupal, just not on mySQL.
>
> Oh, and a collective middle finger to anybody that says the pg community
> is too small to bother with.

I agree.

What gets me is the tortured logic I read in the post by nk on the
drupal board.  Two examples:

1: With MySQL 5.0 and 5.1, there's no need for pgsql
This statement shows that he knows nothing of the differences of the
two database engines of which he speaks.  And when you don't know
anything about a subject, it's best to ask someone who does.

2: There's only 5% of drupal users that use pgsql, therefore they
aren't important.
-- The fact that PostgreSQL isn't fully supported (i.e. some modules
don't work) and it STILL has a 5% user base in Drupal is actually a
testament to the pgsql userbase.  They're willing to climb uphill to
get drupal working on their chosen platform.  If drupal properly
support pgsql, it might well be a much higher percentage that chose to
run on top of pgsql.
-- Which users are those 5%?  Maybe they're the sites that really show
off drupal to the public, maybe they're internal sites for very large
corporates, or maybe they're sites that just need to make sure the
accounting is done right.

I just read Ivan's post, and I agree, it sounds like people who
learned bad habits on mysql and are now whinging about their mysql
inspired sql not working on other platforms.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster