Re: advocacy: drupal and PostgreSQL

От Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Тема Re: advocacy: drupal and PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:52:37 -0500
"Alex Turner" <armtuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> I evaluated Drupal with PostgreSQL, but it wasn't powerful enough,
> and it's written in PHP which is buggy, and lots of modules force
> you to use MySQL which is not ACID (I'm sorry but inserting
> 31-Feb-2008 and not throwing an error by default makes you non-ACID
> in my book).  PostgreSQL support was spotty at best, and it sounds
> like one would have received precious little help from the Drupal
> community.
>
> I plumped for Plone SQLAlchemy and Postgresql instead.

It could be interesting.

Plone does look more "enterprise" oriented and python is a definitive
plus once you're not on hosting.
Other choices could be some form of RAD. I'd prefer the pythonic RAD.
Up to my memory some works on top of SQLAlchemy...

But still Drupal find itself in an interesting market place that is
not the one of Joomla neither the one of Plone and I think that in
that market place it fits better with PostgreSQL rather than MySQL.

I'd be interested in your experience with SQLAlchemy and how it fits
with pg.
I'm not that sure that a full fledged ORM fits with Drupal since it
is something in between a CMS and a framework so more flexible than a
CMS but less that a framework like Django so it would be better to
build up a DB AL around actual objects in drupal.
At least I'll try to find the time to read through SQLAlchemy to
learn.

OK... I'll stop to hijack pg list things that start to be just
tangential to postgres ;)

Many thanks to everybody who listened to the call.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it

Сообщение: Re: advocacy: drupal and PostgreSQL
Сообщение: Re: advocacy: drupal and PostgreSQL