Re: advocacy: drupal and PostgreSQL

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: advocacy: drupal and PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Bill Moran wrote:

[snip]

> > To a large degree, I think Karoly has blown the situation out of
> > proportion.  Look at how it affects _this_ list every time he starts
> > bitching, for example.
> >

> Is it just Karoly (chx) who has all these things to say about pg? He's
> just one person on the drupal team. Has anybody else in the core team
> spoken out on this subject?

Last time this came up (which was in Dec, I believe) a few other core
members jumped in eventually and said, "No, we're keeping PG.  The
goal of Drupal is to be database agnostic, so dropping PG is counter-
productive."  To which Karoly responded that he didn't want to _drop_
PG support, he just wanted to drop PG support ... or something equally
nonsensical.

The guy sets my "jerk" alarms ringing like a 5 alarm fire.  He doesn't
play well with others, he constantly starts fights, and he threatens
to take his ball and go home every time he loses.  I don't care how
much code he writes, I don't think he's worth the headache.

> Let's keep in mind as well that this doesn't only affect pg users but
> any other database as well that drupal supports or plans on supporting.
> Drupal is pretty popular, and I expect there are a number of
> organizations that don't fit in their mold of the "ideal drupal user".

As I said, I get the impression that most of the Drupal developers get
this, and they have mentioned more than once that Drupal's design goal
is to be database-agnostic.  It just seems to be Karoly and a few people
here and there that he's able to incite into riot.

> I'd almost consider trying to take drupal and create a derivative
> product and build in the pg and oracle and mssql, etc. support myself,
> but if the drupal team really pulls a messed up move like this, I really
> don't want to have anything to do with them anymore. It's not that I'm
> that huge of a pg nut (I used mySQL for a while myself), but any team
> that can turn it's back on that many of it's users to make their lives a
> little easier isn't in it for the right reasons (the advancement of
> technology, computing as a science, etc.). I am literally astonished
> that they would even consider telling even 1% of their users "Take off,
> you're too much work". How many drupal+postgres users are large
> corporations, or regular donators? What about code contributors? How
> many people are they looking at pissing off with a move like this?

I'm upset with the community.  The other core members need to stand up
to Karoly and say, "You opinions are not those of the community, and
we'll ban you from the lists if you continue to start this fight over
and over again."

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Сообщение: Re: advocacy: drupal and PostgreSQL
Сообщение: Re: advocacy: drupal and PostgreSQL